Thursday 29 December 2016

Dry fruits and nuts spiced cake

Winters are at least for me very depressive. The day for me begins with darkness, sun out for a while and darkness again by the time you reach back home. It is the season when I succumb to cold and cough and that circulates within the family. I am just waiting for spring. Baking a spiced cake was in my mind for a long time, and Christmas here gave me a valid occasion to bake one. I was out in search of small gifts for my kid, when I accidentally noticed a bundt baking pan.
Yes, I say accidentally because Mr. S was like if you go shopping you will pick up many things that are not really required on a daily basis. Yes, baking happens very rare at my place, so he was right at that point. I still managed to get the bundt cake pan home and just couldn't resist baking. The very next day on 25th December, I and my kid baked an aromatic egg less cake filled with dry fruits, nuts and spices. That way I could get her eat some dry fruits and nuts. I followed the recipe from show me the curry website, I did alter the measurements according to my choice based on the availability of ingredients.




So here goes the recipe of my Christmas special dry fruits and nuts spiced cake.

Ingredients:
Dry ingredients:
All purpose flour - 1 ½ cups
Fine granulated sugar - 1 cup
Baking soda - 1tsp.
Baking powder - 1 tsp.
Cinnamon powder - 1tsp.
Nutmeg powder - ½ tsp.
Salt - ¼ tsp.

Wet ingredients:
Water - 2 cups
Butter - 125gms
Fanta (orange flavored) - 1 tbsp.
Orange rind grated - ½ tsp.

Dryfruits - ¾ cup filled with golden raisins, black raisins, cranberries
Nuts - ¾ cup filled with walnuts, almonds, cashews
Sugar powder to decorate

Recipe:
  1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees centigrade. Chop nuts.
  2. In a pan add 2 cups of water and to that add the dry fruits and cook for 10 minutes approximately.
  3. Remove it from heat and add butter to it and set aside. Let the butter melt in it. 
  4. Add orange flavored Fanta and grated orange rind to it .
  5. Grease the pan well with butter and then dust it with all purpose flour.
  6. In a big glass bowl sieve together the dry ingredients except cinnamon powder and nutmeg powder to avoid any lumps.
  7. Now add in the spices, namely cinnamon powder and nutmeg powder.
  8. Once the butter is fully melted, add the wet mixture prepared to the glass bowl with dry ingredients.
  9. Fold in the flour slowly adding the wet mixture to it.
  10. Now add the chopped nuts.
  11. Fold them well into the cake batter.
  12. Then pour the cake batter to the cake pan.
  13. Bake it in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade till the inserted tooth prick or knife comes clean.
  14. Sprinkle sugar powder on top using a strainer.














Notes:
  • Cane sugar or unrefined sugar could be used.
  • Dry fruits soaked in alcohol could be used, if preferred

Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment