Sunday 2 March 2014

Sago Payasam/Sabakki Payasa/Javvarisi Payasam/Sabudana Kheer

It had been almost 2 weeks that I didn't touch my blog, rather I couldn't. Recently got a ganglion removed from wrist of my right hand and was advised not to do any work that caused stress to my hand, well being not used to cooking, only with left hand, was away from kitchen for a while but still I don't think I would be as frequent as I used to be before. But I would make it sure that whenever I do blog I would definitely visit all my blogger friends. I was really missing being here for some time now. This was a payasam/kheer I did some 2 weeks back, but couldn't blog. Now that I can type using both my hands, I decided to sit with this for the day. Here I share Sago Payasam recipe

Ingredients:
Sago/Tapioca Pearls/Sabudana/Sabakki-3/4 cup
Coconut milk-500ml (2 cups)
Milk-1 cup
Sugar-2 ½ cup
Cardamom- 3 pods crushed
Nutmeg powder- a pinch
Ghee- 2 tbsp.
Raisins and Cashewnuts-handful.
Water-3 cups

Recipe:
  1. Clean sago under running water 3 to 4 times and drain well. Soak them well in just enough water in a wide bowl for 5-6 hours minimum or better overnight. Do have a check in between, if required drizzle little water to avoid them turning dry.
  2. Just separate the pearls and set aside.
  3. Boil water in a deep bottom pan and when it starts to boil just drop in the sago pearls.
  4. Cook till they are almost transparent, takes around 15-20 minutes.
  5. Add milk to it at this stage.
  6. Cook for a while.Add sugar and let the sugar melt fully.
  7. Bring it to a boil and then add coconut milk to it, just simmer for a while, do not boil further after adding coconut milk.
  8. In a pan add ghee and melt.
  9. When hot add cashew nuts and fry till golden, then add raisins and fry till plump and set aside.
  10. Add it to the payasam. 
  11. Add crushed cardamom.
  12. Followed by that just scrape little nutmeg powder just a pinch and add it to the payasam. Enjoy sago payasam hot or chilled.







Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment