Friday 13 September 2013

Sapaada Bhakshya

Satyanarana Pooja is performed in Hindu communities generally on any occasion such as marriage, a house warming ceremony. It is not confined to any festivals. It can be done any day. Most auspicious is doing it on a full moon day. It is believed that for this pooja, even if we do not get any invitation, just if you got to know pooja is there, we should go and hear the katha/story behind this pooja and at the end we should have the Prasad of this pooja and return. I used to love Satyanarayana pooja in my childhood for one main reason, i.e the Prasad we get at the end of the pooja, even now I crave for those sweet cute small dumplings. We are served the panchamrit as well as sapaada bhakshya after the pooja ends. This is a heavenly delicious sweet. It is believed that we are not supposed to do this sweet/Prasad at home if we are not performing the pooja. It is also believed that we are not supposed to prepare this sweet in large quantity. It should be prepared only with specified measure. But I crave for this every now and then. Recently I happened to ask my mother if I could prepare this sweet to satisfy my cravings, but she was like NO, you should not. I remember mom telling me, if at all we are so much desperate to eat this, we can skip any 1 ingredient and prepare this sweet. It makes use of Whole wheat flour, Banana, Cow Milk, Sugar, Ghee. But I was like if we skip banana, no actual taste, cant substitute wheat flour as I won't get the original taste, again can't avoid ghee. Now only thing left was milk and I got an idea as to replace milk with water. Soon called 'amma' as I call my mother, and asked if I could substitute milk with water and prepare this sweet. She was like yes you could if you crave so much. I was relieved. Hence prepared them and enjoyed. I must say they almost reached the original taste as I just skipped milk alone and substituted with same amount of water. Here goes my recipe.

 
Makes 20 small round balls of sweet

Ingredients:* see notes
Whole wheat flour-1/2 cup
Ghee-1/2 cup
Fully ripe banana-1/2 cup chopped into small pieces
Sugar-1/2 cup
Water-1/2 cup

Recipe:
  1. In a pan add ghee, when hot add chopped banana and sauté.
  2. Sauté till they turn golden.
  3. Now add wheat flour and cook on a low flame sautéing till wheat flour is fully fried in ghee.
  4. At this stage add sugar and mix continuously on a low flame.
  5. Now when sugar gets fully mixed add water and sauté continuously so that no lumps remain.
  6. At on point it comes together as a mass leaving the pan.
  7. Now remove it off the flame and let it cool little. Form balls when the mixture is slightly warm.

To get pictorial step by step recipe description click on the following pictures below.


 

 
 





 

Notes:
It is believed that we are supposed to prepare this Prasad with measure of 1 1/4 cup of each ingredient if it is prepared for pooja.
Also if preparing for pooja, do replace water with cow milk.
If you need to enjoy just to satisfy your craving do keep in mind to skip any one ingredient and do not follow the measure of 1 1/4 cup
To get the taste almost similar to that of Satyanarayana Pooja Prasad/Sapaada bhakshya skip milk and add water instead when this sweet is prepared casually and not for the pooja.

Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)

Sending this to Priya's page WTML owned by Gayathri, Cutchi Kitchen, Gujarati zaika
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment