Thursday 13 June 2013

Mango Ginger/Aamba Haldi Chutney

I love mango flavoured chutneys. I got with me this time mango ginger or aamba haldi with me which people use for preparing pickles.Mango-ginger is neither related to mango nor ginger but to turmeric (Curcuma longa). It is a rhizome which is pale yellow inside and lighter colour outside. When it is crushed it gives sweet smell of unripe mango. The flavour is predominantly ginger with a delightful faint aroma and taste of mango. However, the taste is not as sharp as ordinary ginger is.I added this to my coconut chutney and loved the mango flavour in it. It tastes delicious with dosas.I got this recipe from my mother in law. She cultivates aamba haldi in her small farm meant for vegetables, it is called 'manganari' in our local language in my native.
Here I share this chutney recipe.


Ingredients:
Coconut-1 cup
Green chillies-1 chopped
Tamarind paste-1/4 tsp
Aamba haldi-2'' piece chopped
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Oil-1 tsp
Salt to taste
Water as required

Recipe:
  1. In a blender, grind all ingredients with required amount of water except for oil and mustard seeds.
  2. Once ground smooth,transfer it to a bowl and get the seasoning ready.
  3. For seasoning,heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,as they splatter transfer them to the chutney prepared. I just added mustard seeds in seasoning, you could very well add dry red chillies, curry leaves etc. I didn't want any other flavour other than the mango flavour of aamba haldi.so reduced other seasoning items.Enjoy this chutney with any dosa of your choice.
 
Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)
     

No comments:

Post a Comment